Wednesday, June 6, 2012

DIY pattern stool Part 1

I've finally had some time after the moving to start doing arts and crafts project. I have this really old and stained stool in the kitchen. I was actually thinking of throwing it away because the white colour isn't that white anymore. However, I got an idea to either cover it with beautiful baroque style fabric or paint the pattern on. As my drawers are full of different paints and markers, I decided to draw the pattern.

Before

Work in progress
  

As you can probably notice, I ran out of marker at some point( it was a really old one) so I need to buy a new one. I also need to clean up some of the black "mess" around the design.
The sides of the stool I'm going to paint black so that it will look more elegant. There's still a lot to do, so this is definitely not  what the stool will look like when it's finished :)

You don't even have to be a good drawer to do the design. I used mostly free hand, but you could use wax paper for tracing a whole pattern. So if you want to do something similar, these are the things you will need:
 Disinfectant, wax paper and a pencil. 
The disinfectant is for wiping the wooden surface. This ensures that the colour sticks on. Wax paper and pencil are for tracing a  pattern you like. The Internet has millions of pictures so that is surely the best place to find the design you like. All you need to do is to trace the picture on both sides of the paper. Press the pattern against the wooden surface and trace the outlines once again.

Pencil Sharpener and an Eraser
 A Waterproof marker.
 I used an old CD marker, but anything goes as long as it's thin and waterproof.
Nailpolish remover.
 This is used for wiping out possible stains. Be careful when doing this as you might smudge the design!

If you want to paint the sides of the stool, you will need paint. I will be using acrylic paint. When you have finished with the actual design(and painting) you definitely want to cover it up with either sealing wax meant for paintings or with a special plastic. I will do a tutorial on this once I finish my design and painting, so stay tuned! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment